Wednesday, March 17, 2010

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY




Happy St. Patrick's Day to you all from the Emerald Isle!!! 

This is my very favourite cake in the whole world (bold words I know!!).  I am normally totally fickle with my food loves, but this cake has been my constant since I discovered it (much like my husband!!!).

It is Nigella Lawson's Chocolate Guinness Cake (with a very minor tweak),  there are many reasons why this cake ticks so many boxed, it has a dense, rich texture (bordering on brownie), and a complex range of flavours, thanks to the hoppiness of the Guinness, and the richness of the organic cocoa.  It is incredibly easy to make, only dirties one large saucepan - whats not to like!!

I have reduced the amount of bicarbonate of soda from the original version, I sometimes use just 1 teaspoon, and it still rises beautifully.  I also leave out the icing when I make it just for the family - the icing looks fantastic, and its similarity to a pint of Guinness is really cute- but I like the full on flavour of the cake without the sweetness of the icing.  I tried to make up for the lack of icing in the photo with some shamrock sweets, pitiful!!


Chocolate Guinness Cake

Preheat oven to 180 C.
Prepare a 23cm springform tin with parchment paper and butter.


250ml     Guinness
250g       Butter
75g         Cocoa
400g       Caster Sugar
142ml     Sour Cream (I sometimes use creme fraiche)
2             Large Eggs
1 tbsp     vanilla extract
275g       plain flour - sifted
1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda (bread soda) - sifted


Measure the Guinness into a large saucepan and add the butter (cubed will speed up the melting process) - heat gently until melted.
Whisk in the sugar and cocoa.
Beat in the sour cream, the eggs and the vanilla extract.
Whisk in the flour and bicarbonate of soda.
Pour the cake batter into the prepared tin, and bake in the middle of the oven for 45 - 60 minutes.
When a cake tester (or piece of spaghetti) comes out clean it is ready.
When you remove the cake from the oven leave it in the tin (on a wire rack) to cool completely.


Hope you enjoy it, I'm looking forward to a slice with an Irish Coffee!

FOR EACH PETAL ON THE SHAMROCK THIS BRINGS A WISH YOUR WAY
GOOD HEALTH, GOOD LUCK AND HAPPINESS FOR YOU TODAY AND EVERY DAY.

SLAINTE

2 comments:

Choclette said...

It is indeed a great cake.

Coby said...

It's one of my faves too, and I can't abide the flavour of any beer. I've never tried it without it's frothy topping, but I can't imagine it tasting anything other than delicious any old way:) I just love how BLACK this cake is within:) A belated Happy St Patrick's Day BG:D