Friday, June 25, 2010

DELIGHTFUL DINNER




Super easy, super tasty, we have had a run of really nice dinners (doesn't happen often!!) - I wonder if it is this good weather?  Inspiration or the fact that I feel I shouldn't be in the kitchen (should be out getting some vitamin D into my bones) and therefore am spending all my time in said kitchen!!


One of the recent successes was this baked monkfish, which I served with a sugar snap pea and pea dish, roast potatoes (as always!) and a mouthwatering salad (thanks to my vegetable box scheme).

 
 


Monkfish with Lemon

2           Monkfish tail fillets  
1/4       Preserved lemon or segments of fresh lemon
12        Cherry tomatoes, semi sundries tomatoes would be best.
1 tbsp   Capers - drained
Extra virgin olive oil


Remove the membrane from the monkfish (this is very tough) and cut into large pieces (monkfish shrinks dramatically when cooked).
Chop the preserved lemon finely, or segment a fresh lemon, make sure to remove all pith (from the fresh not the preserved!!)
Chop the tomatoes in half.
Place the fish on a tray covered in tinfoil (makes the clean up much easier) then scatter with the lemon, capers, and tomatoes. 
Drizzle with the olive oil.
Roast for about 15 - 20 minutes.
Cut a piece of fish to ensure it is cooked through.

 

Peas and Pesto

4             Baby onions/6 Scallions
1 pkt       Sugar snap peas
2 cups     Frozen petite pois
1 tbsp     Pesto


In a wok or large frying pan sautee the onion  in some olive oil until tender and starting to brown at the edges.
Add the sugar snap peas and cook for about 2 minutes.
Add the frozen peas and the pesto.
Cook until the peas are warm.







I love Wimbledon, I love the tennis and the memories of watching as a teenager imagining that I was married to the better looking players (McEnroe was a particular favourite!!) and I love the strawberries and cream that I associate with it.  As an homage to Wimbledon I made Eton Mess for dessert.  I chopped up a punnet of strawberries and added a little icing sugar and a teaspoon of good balsamic vinegar then I crushed some M & S meringues into a tub of Genisk Greek yogurt and mixed the whole lot together!!  It was really good, probably better than when made with cream - give it a go!!

10 comments:

Lorraine said...

That salad nearly looks too pretty to eat! Next year we'll definitely do some edible flowers - the colour is just so enticing!

Saffy said...

Oh BG, thanks for such beautiful, colorful pics. We may be in the depths of winter here, but seeing these pics made me smile with thoughts of warm weather to look forward to :) And mmmm to the monkfish AND Eton Mess - yum!!

Chef Dennis Littley said...

what a great meal...I love the idea of adding peas to pea pods....too cool!! and your salad almost looked to good to eat!

Unknown said...

The salad is so pretty, have never been brave enough for flowers in salads. Love the idea of greek yogurt instead of cream for the eton mess.

Jhonny walker said...

I agree with other..the salad looks pretty and healthy as can be. Its a pitty one has to eat it to feel even better!

Unknown said...

that eton mess looks just like what i feel like atm! will concoct something up with the things i already have that dont result in too many dishes - argh! cooking is fabulous, but dishes are a thorn in my side!!

Anonymous said...

That veg box is just delightful!!! I love fish and capers...and Eton Mess too (no need to wait for Wimbledon!) I have been having not so much success lately in the kitchen, I'm glad this week has been a good one for you :-D

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

Wow. You certainly did it up! What a gorgeous meal! And I love the Eton Mess in honor of Wimbledon. I could go for that Monkfish though, right now. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Dessert is always so appealing in a martini glass...and I love the cupcake napkin! :)

Katrinshine said...

I must cook it - peas and pesto!
On my blog I wrote yesterday about cuisine of my region in Italy - Salento