Saturday, October 23, 2010

CHOCOLATE CAKE - ANOTHER LEVEL



Man oh Man - this is a good one!!  A deep dense delicious chocolate cake, with a fantastic contrast in texture, I actually think that this cake has it all.  Everything in the taste department, really interesting (in a good way) texture and easy to make (although it does take more time than usual, most of it for cooling though).

Ottolenghi, The Cookbook has been on my "wishlist" for a very long time, and my only regret is that I didn't move it to my basket much, much sooner!!!  It's a wonderful book that will really come into it's own during the summer - it's chock full of fantastic salads, but there is also plenty in there to keep me happy for the autumn and winter.

It was Brownieville Boy#1's birthday recently and something special was called for, it had to be chocolate and it had to be delicious!  I thought this Ottolenghi Fudge Cake sounded really interesting because the batter is cooked in two stages, you cook 2/3rd of it - allow to cool and then add the rest and bake again.  I was under a bit of time pressure (what's new!) and didn't allow the cake to cool completely between the first and second baking and therefore didn't have as defined a contrast between the two layers as I would have wished, but even despite my impatience it was wonderful.  They actually say that the whole cake can be baked in one go if you wish - but you would really miss out if you did this.  This is my simplified version:



Chocolate Fudge Cake

240g           butter (in small cubes)
300g           dark chocolate (about 50%)
60g             dark chocolate (about 80%)
290g           light brown sugar
4 tbsp         water
5                 large eggs - separated
pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 170 C
Line a 23cm springform tin with parchment (or butter and flour it)

Melt the sugar and water in a small pan and bring to the boil.
Place the butter and chocolate (which you have broken into small pieces) in a large bowl.
Pour the syrup over the butter and chocolate and stir well until totally melted.
Stir in the egg yolks one by one, combine well between each addition.
Whisk the egg whites with a tiny pinch of salt to a firm, frothy (but not dry) meringue.
Fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture as gently as possible.
Pour 2/3 of the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for about 40 minutes, until a skewer comes out fairly clean.
Remove to a wire rack and cool completely - this takes a couple of hours.
Pour the rest of the mixture over the cooked cake, level with a palette knife.
Bake for 20 - 25 minutes.  The top should have a brownie like moistness.
Leave to cool completely in the tin on a wire rack.

Enjoy!

35 comments:

Rose H (UK) said...

You're rotten you are, fancy putting such temptation in front of me! lol.

bellaboo said...

That looks simply divine! Thanks for popping in to my blog..I'm so pleased because now I've found your lovely one.I'll be back! :o)

Jemima said...

Sounds delicious. No flour either? I like the sound of the texture contrasting.

I have been making cherry bakewell cupcakes this morning, and it's the first time I have made a cup cake without flour or butter. Will blog about it later x

Chele said...

Love that last phot, what an amazing looking cake. The ingredient list looks pretty amazing too! Can't wait to try this one out ;0)

Please Do Not Feed The Animals. said...

Mmmmmmmm. I had better not let my husband see this post just now or he'll be hassling me to make it and I already have a huge to do list for Halloween baking, etc.

Anonymous said...

It looks awesome! That's so interesting how you bake it in two stages.

Nora said...

That looks soooo good. Do they give any explanation for the double baking thing? It's most intriguing...
Also, I can't believe that I have this book and I've never noticed this recipe!

Unknown said...

love these flourless cakes...and the double bake method, bet it tasted good, but was it dry? Doesn't look dry, looks so good!... mines coming tomorrow, I promise, just tackling a curry x

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

all of your baking here is so wonderful
i love your blog...just love it

happy to see you at farmhouse, my friend
kary and teddy
xxx

Brownieville Girl said...

Very sorry Rose!!!

Welcome bellaboo.

Looking forward to reading about them LC.

Thanks Chele.

PDNFTA - oh let him have a look!!

AB and Nora, the double baking gives two different textures, yummm!

Dom .... not at all dry, the top level is particularly moist. Enjoy the curry :-}

MFK, thank you so much.

Annie said...

Mmmm, chocolate! The cake looks so rich and dense. Can't wait to try your recipe.

Unknown said...

BVG... just for you: http://closetcooking.blogspot.com/2007/10/how-to-make-pumpkin-puree.html xx

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

wow...pic makes me drool..looks very tempting n yummy..

Tasty Appetite

bears footprints said...

oh im such a sucker for chocolate cake, kids on half term this week and i know they would love this too! thats one day now what to do with the other 6 he he! im drooling just thinking about making this x

Lilly Higgins said...

Yummmmmm! Looks amazing. I have both Ottolenghi books and absolutely love them, I haven't made this yet though. I'll have to try it!

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

Can you send a slice over the pond to me! LOL!! This looks delicious! Nice post!

CakeMistress said...

Oh how heavenly!! What a fudgey chocolate delight for a lucky birthday boy. Must try soon.

Danielle said...

Oh my god, yumm. That looks so good. And there's so much chocolate in it too! I'll have to try this soon.

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

Cooked in two stages! WOW! Definitely looks worth it though - so deep and dark and rich. Thanks for sharing your take on it. This will be on my holiday 'to make' list!

Zoe said...

Ohhh...very fudgy! A good chocolate fudge is always a winner!

mr. pineapple man said...

mmmm the top looks amazing!! (thats my favorite part)

My Little Space said...

Hmm... the cake looks so scrumptious and I am salivating. I'll have to say pretty addictive too! haha... *slurp* Thanks!
Kristy

Anonymous said...

i am drooling over this cake:) it's beautiful. so rich and decadent..yum!

Sommer said...

perfectly fudgy!!! my children would love this!! Happy birthday to your son!!!!!

Valerie Gamine said...

Delicious! The perfect thing to make when one needs their chocolate fix.

Anonymous said...

This cake looks amazing! I love all the chocolate :)

Jutta said...

Drool....wow that looks great. I think it is time that cookbook moved from my wishlist into my basket on my next Amazon order.

Anonymous said...

Oh my!!! What have you made now!!! Chocolate decadence indeed! I wish you were my neighbor, I would be stopping by quite often:)

Deeba PAB said...

Fabulous cake and ever so indulgent. I have the Ottolenghi cookbook, and now you tempt me to bake this cake! I've got Plenty on my wishlist now, and have made a potato salad from it...it's planty good!

Megan@foodalution.com said...

Oh my goodness dear! I have never heard of double baking a cake.... HAVE TO TRY! Lovely goodness, hope the birthday boy enjoyed! miss ya! Megan

Joie de vivre said...

Oh my, this looks incredible! I have tons of books on my wishlist. You're right, I need to move some to my "basket". :)

Brownieville Girl said...

Thanks a million everyone.

Have bought the pumpkin Dom - puree on the way!!

Totally recommend the Ottolenghi Book.

Hope you try this cake, I'd love to hear how you get on.

Kim said...

I have heard so many wonderful things about the Ottolenghi book. This chocolate cake really looks like something special. I am intrigued by the idea of baking 2/3rds of the cake in one stage and then going in again for a second baking. Sounds like it would be really fudgy!

Julie said...

That sounds interesting and delicious! I'd love to give it a whirl :)

Choclette said...

Yes, I've seen this twice baked cake before - it certainly looks delicious. Another one for my list!