Wednesday, November 23, 2011

WITH APPLE OR WITHOUT??




It looks burned, doesn't it?  Actually it didn't taste burned .... maybe it is the dark chocolate - very, very dark chocolate!!

I was watching a re-run of Nigella's kitchen, and her Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding just called to me, then I thought that it would be a good idea to incorporate it with Chele's  ingredient  for this month's We Should Cocoa challenge.  Like many fellow bloggers, I had fretted as to how I could add apple to a chocolate recipe, but I thought that some apple through this pudding would be delicious.  Unfortunately Brownieville Boy #2 spotted me adding the apple, and wasn't too enthusiastic!  So I compromised and added apple to just half of the pudding - and I have to say that the non-apple half was just a fraction nicer.

The pudding was light and fluffy, and deliciously creamy (despite containing only 125ml of cream) I would recommend that you give it a try. 

Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding

250g    stale bread, cut into 3cm cubes
100g    chocolate chips, or chopped chocolate
3          eggs
40g      light brown sugar
30ml    dark rum
125ml  cream
500ml  full fat milk
4 tsp    demerara sugar
1          apple (optional)


butter a pie dish (about 1.5 lt)
preheat oven to 170 C

Place the bread cubes, chopped chocolate and chopped apple in the dish, toss but make sure there aren't too many chocolate pieces on the top (to prevent the burned look!!)
Whisk the eggs, light brown sugar, rum, cream and milk together.
Pour over the bread and press the cubes down to make sure they are well soaked.
Leave to soak for at least 20 minutes.
When ready to cook, sprinkle with the demerara sugar and place in the oven for 40-50 minutes.
Allow the pudding to cool slightly before serving.
Enjoy.

21 comments:

Maria♥ said...

Looks and sounds delish!

Maria
x

Sue/the view from great island said...

This looks insanely good!

Rose H (UK) said...

Who could resist?
Thank you for your sweet comments :o)
Have a great weekend.
Rose H

Ana Regalado said...

I love bread pudding ! Adding apple sounds good ;)

Zoe said...

I love dark dark dark chocolate. Love the intense flavour of this pudding. Nice!

Unknown said...

I love it!... I bet it tasted similar to my chocolate apple charlotte... yummy!... I wonder if you'd made an apple cake and then used the cake instead of bread it would have been nice?... oh I love a bread and butter pudding!

The Cookie Jar said...

That looks lovely, haven't had bread and butter pudding in years. Might try it with pears.

Manu said...

Oh great idea: one side with, the other side without!!
I do the same with pizza: one side with gorgonzola, the other for my daughter without...Shame Bebe ;-)
LOL

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

I have never had bread and butter pudding before. I would like to try it some day.

Anne said...

Its not burnt, just crispy ;-) And the crispy bits are the best bit!

Looks delicious, I love bread and butter pudding not made it in ages though, liking the sound of the brandy in it :)

MissCakeBaker said...

It looks great. That was very kind of you to leave the apple out of one half.

Karen S Booth said...

Dark and decadent, and I have only just come up with my apple and chocolate recipe! Good plan to have half minus apple!

Janice said...

Chocolate B&B pudding is gorgeous and with added rum - mmmmmmmm

Phil in the Kitchen said...

This apple and chocolate thing is just not as easy as it sounds. Love the idea of eating bread pudding while watching reruns of old cookery shows (Nigella or otherwise) - that'll do me for the afternoon.

Gloria Baker said...

Look deliicous dear Brownie!:)

Anna's kitchen table said...

Great idea Brownie!

Kate@whatkatebaked said...

I've never tried a chocolate version of bread and butter pudding... I've no idea why not, but I feel I need to start making up for lost time with this delicious recipe!

Julie said...

Sounds delish! I think I would prefer the apple-free portion as well :)

Christine's Pantry said...

Sounds good.

Choclette said...

He he, there does seem to be a sizeable number of you who don't seem to keen on this apple chocolate combination. The pudding loos delicious, but I think it might be nicer without the apple somehow, even though I am a fan. Thanks for your continued participation.

Susan said...

That looks lovely, picked it up from the round up. Must make it! x