Saturday, December 31, 2011

GET AHEAD FOR CHRISTMAS 2012!!!!!!!!



I'm afraid that I'm going to use the "R" word - I know I won't be popular, but it's for your own good!!!  Most of us make resolutions (there I've said it!!) about being more organised - and I'm giving you an easy way to get the warm fuzzy feeling - prepare the fruit for next year's Christmas cake this week, imagine how organised and "Suzie Homemakerish" you'll feel - so what if you don't keep to the healthy eating regime or if you don't manage to hit the gym every day - you still know that your Christmas cake is getting more delicious by the day!

Why am I so evangelical about this year long soak for the fruits -  once again I managed to forget about the fruit that I had left to soak for a whole year (my last find was a jar of raisins that had been soaking in dark rum for a very, very long time - scrumptious)  - and I have to say that the result was the richest moistest cake ever (well equal place with Nigella's chocolate Christmas cake).

I urge you to pop over to The Pink Whisk's recipe for boozy fruit for your Christmas Cake where you will find the directions for this cake elixir.  It makes so much sense to prepare the fruits at this time - you probably have many of the fruits and the booze in the cupboard, what better way could you have to use them up?


 I want to thank you all for your support during 2011 and to wish you the very best for 2012.

25 comments:

Manu said...

Wishing you a New Year full of love!!

Ana Regalado said...

Happy New Year!!! Wishing you all the best in the coming year :) That "R" ? I don't have that word in my vocabulary hahaha

Karen S Booth said...

WOW! That is my Mum's way of doing her fruit for the cake, she soaks it for a year in a big Kilner jar!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Karen
XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Sommer said...

CAAAAAAAKE!!!!

Happy New Year!!! I am scared of the R word, I call em goals lol. I am the ultimate jinx :)

Janice said...

Gosh I don't think I want to be organised that far ahead. I think I need to make LESS food next Christmas.

Unknown said...

Happy new year BVG, wishing you well x

Chele said...

Lol - great post ;0)
Happy New Year to you.

freerangegirl said...

Now that's what I call dedication to cake! Happy new year BG x

Anonymous said...

Wow that'll be some cake!! All the very best for 2012!
Mary oxo

Gloria Baker said...

Happy New year dear Brownie girl:)

The Cookie Jar said...

Not quite that organised, but I did make The Pink Whisk's Christmas cake and it turned out fantastic. ( only soaked the fruit for 8 weeks)

Best Wishes for 2012

Joyti said...

I don't make resolutions :-)
But that cake sounds delicious!

Jemima said...

I am shocked at you mentioning the C word, let alone the R word!!

The Ordinary Cook said...

I was initially horrified at the very suggestion that I should be thinking of next year's cake now, but it does sound like a good plan, especially if I can find the jar of booze soaked raisins at some point. Wishing you a happy 2012 xx

GG said...

Great idea, I can be smug and get a great cake out of it. : ) GG

Unknown said...

You know, I have a whole kilo packet of mixed fruit and candied peel that never found a home at Christmas. I am going to make this tomorrow. Never been so prepared!

Anonymous said...

That's a wonderful and easy resolution! I'm glad your Christmas cake turned out delicious.

laura_howtocook said...

Happy New Year to you! What a great idea to start soaking the fruits now. I have bags left over in the cupboard plus lots of alcohol so now I will put them both to good use! x

Shu Han said...

christmas 2012?? Haha you are getting ahead aren't you!!

Choclette said...

Rum soaked raisins sound well worth doing, though I'm not sure I can quite get my head around making this year's Christmas cake quite yet.

Wishing you all the best for 2012

Maria♥ said...

Happy New Year! Hope it's full of happiness and health :)

Maria
x

Kelly-Jane said...

I've not made any resolutions yet, am I too late!!!

Kelly-Jane said...

PS Happy New Year!!

Susan Lindquist said...

What a great idea! This is the kind of resolution I can get behind! I have an old rumtopf jar that might do the trick for soaking the raisins, dates and figs!

Happy New Year, Brownie girl!

Julie said...

Wow...a year long booze soak! I'm sure it's an amazing result :)