Sunday, February 27, 2011

A GAME OF TWO HALVES!!



Dom over at Belleau Kitchen has come up with a genius challenge, whereby we are to choose an untried recipe from our cook books and give it a go.  To be more specific he asks us to take all our cookbooks from the shelf, choose one at random and then select a recipe from it again at random and being the brain-box he is, he has called it Random Recipes Challenge.  I would need to call in a moving company to make a pile of my cook-books (!) so instead I chose a selection of books that are untried either because they are new or because I bought them and promptly forgot them.



I was hoping for some nice cup-cakes or perhaps a wonderful new vegetable dish or even a practical mid-week dinner idea, instead I opened the page to the dreaded yeast bread.  Regular readers will know that I have a "thing" about yeast breads, all the kneading looking for spongy/springy textures - all that fuss when you can just throw a lovely soda bread together in no time, why bother!!!

The book chosen was "Bake" by Rachel Allen, and the recipe was for her "White Yeast Bread", which in itself was a problem as we much prefer brown bread.  I decided to compromise slightly and replace 200g of the strong white flour with wholemeal.

I'm afraid to say that yet again I failed in an attempt to have a perfect yeast loaf emerge from my kitchen.  The bread tasted fine, no better than one you'd buy in a supermarket, I think it would be best described as blah!!  This is a Link to Rachel's recipe.



As luck would have it, soon after making this bread, Rhylesgranny over at Tea and Wheaten posted her recipe for Honeyed Porridge Bread, which also is a yeast bread.  Her directions are so clear and simple that I felt confident enough to give it a go (and get that yeast "monkey" off my back!!!!).  This bread was so delicious (and easy to make) that I made it two days in a row!!


Thank You Rhylesgranny!


I want to thank Dom for this wonderful challenge (a step towards world domination perhaps!!!), not least because it indirectly brought me to try the Porridge bread - and of course a big thank you to Rhylesgranny too.  Looking forward to next month!

21 comments:

Unknown said...

great... I love the way I forced you to make something you don't like!!!... then you went and found a better recipe... this surely, is what the blogging world is all about!... thanks so much for taking part x

Please Do Not Feed The Animals. said...

Mmmmmm, the smell of baking porridge bread!
Well done for not cheating and skipping past the bread recipe!;-)

Rhyleysgranny said...

Oh i am all delighted you liked the porridge bread. What a name! Yours looks magnificent :) Now keep going. I produced more than my fair share of bricks when I started with yeast.LOL. It was a great challenge wasn't it? I wasn't a bit happy with my recipe either. It's great though making yourself make something you would normally pass over.

Rose H (UK) said...

What a great challenge! (Though I must admit that these days cooking anything is a challenge!) Bread looks great, I'll pop over and grab the recipe too :o)

chow and chatter said...

great job on the bread and what a cool challenge

Angela said...

Yum! I love how I can actually see the whole grain in the porrige bread.

Unknown said...

Well done you! Don't fear yeast, it is your friend (well, in a bread sense, anyway...) I must make that porridge bread, looks fab!

Viv said...

yay! porridge bread! how interesting..

i've been doing a lot of baking with yeast these days too..nothings makes your home smell as nice as freshly baked breads!

Anonymous said...

That's a great challenge! I know I wouldn't make as much from "Around My French Table" if it not for ffwD! Great looking bread!

Anna's kitchen table said...

Granny's porridge bread looks great!
Shame about the Rachel loaf though!

teresa said...

fun challenge, the bread looks great!

Chele said...

Check you making a yeasted bread 2 days in a row!! Way to go girl ;0)

freerangegirl said...

Nothing stops Brownieville Girl! I love your bread determination - you rock!!! (rock bun no doubt!)

laurie said...

Sounds like a fun challenge. The bread looks wonderful!

Zoe said...

Porridge bread! Sounds very exciting to me.

Rhonda said...

Well done BG, you can be very proud, the porridge bread looks wonderful!

Shanae Branham said...

Looks delicious! I am glad I stopped by today!

Alchemy In The Kitchen said...

Nice challenge but 'Blah!' is not good enough. It has to be Worth The Calories, doesn't it.

The Honeyed Porridge Bread sounds WTC indeed. I'll have to check it out.

Susan Lindquist said...

Now, you've got me curious! This porridge bread may just be the next yeast bread I try. I am yeast-challenged, so it's a big deal for me to make bread! Thanks for the glowing recommendation on this loaf!

Caroline said...

It's a shame your recipe didn't work out as you'd hoped but at least you've found a good one too - the porridge bread looks really lovely. Perhaps we'll convert you to yeasted bread yet!

Choclette said...

It's a bit of a scary challenge this one - well done for sticking with it! I made my sourdough bread today, but tomorrow I'm going to make soda bread - which, touch wood, is easy and tasty.