Thursday, February 3, 2011

LAZY BAKERS TREAT




Sometimes you need something sweet and tasty, but really don't fancy the whole rigmarole of taking out mixers and beaters and whisks - let me be honest here - sometimes I want to have my cake and eat it, without having put much work into the process!!!

This cake is just what the doctor (that very strange doctor that lives in my imagination and tells me to eat all the chocolate I wish!!!!) ordered.  Like Nigella's Guinness Cake this is a "one pot wonder", all you need is a scales, a large pot a baking tin and you're in business.

It started life out as the Birthday Cake in Nigella Lawson's "How to Eat", and although I still  make the original, the one I make more often is this evolved version below.  I have reduced the fat, by using a light condensed milk and by omitting the ganache (or sometimes just using 1/4 of the specified amount) - then I have replaced some of that fat (!) by adding chocolate chunks (and sometimes roasted hazelnuts).  I no longer faff about with splitting the cake in half and sandwiching with ganache - not really in the spirit of my lazy inner self!!







Although I usually make the plain, uniced version - for special occasions I whip out the icing!  This cake was made for a very special occasion -  my sister's significant birthday!!  Her little angel (he was so good he was given a "star stamp" at play school .... awwwwww!) helped me to decorate it with a delightful crater pattern, even going so far as to eat all the removed ganache - that's dedication!!


I don't usually need much help in the creating craters dept!!



Dress Up or Downable Chocolate Cake

225g      self-raising flour
40g        cocoa
200g      caster sugar
100g      butter
100ml    just boiled water
200g      light condensed milk
200g      dark chocolate (about 70% cocoa) - broken into pieces
50g        chopped roasted hazelnuts (optional)
2            large eggs, beaten

Preheat oven to 180 C
Prepare a 20cm springform tin by buttering it and lining the bottom with parchment paper.

Put the sugar,  butter, boiled water, condensed milk and 100g of chocolate into a large pot and put on a medium heat until melted, stir until glossy and smooth.
Remove from the heat and stir in the sieved flour and cocoa.
Finally add the eggs and mix well.  (Do not forget this part - if you do the result is disastrous!!!!)
Add the remaining 100g chocolate chunks and the nuts (if using).
Pour into the prepared tin and bake for about 45 minutes.
This cake needs to cook like a brownie - firm on top but still slightly gooey in the center.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for about 10 minutes.
After this time remove from the tin and cool completely on a wire rack.

If you wish to make a ganache for the top just heat 100ml double cream and then add 100g chopped chocolate, stir until amalgamated and pour over the cooled cake.




This is my contribution to Forever Nigella # 2 - seduced by chocolate over at Maison Cupcake.

45 comments:

Chele said...

That is a great cake ... ashamed to say I've never tried it but I have always admired it when flicking through Nigella's book.
PS - I'm liking the sound of that Doctor of yours ... does he do house calls lol

Unknown said...

I love it... just bung it in a cake tin and whack it in the oven... sooooo lazy but soooooo good! (oh, maybe stir it a couple of times for good luck)

Kitten with a Whisk said...

Yum! Can't go wrong with chocolate cake!

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

Is there anything better that chocolate, nuts and chocolate chips . . . mmmm, I wish I had a scratch & sniff computer! Have a great day!

Choclette said...

I'm all for lazy baking. Haven't come across this one before though - I only have Domestic Goddess. Can't quite imagine how it would taste with condensed milk. Will have to try it and find out ;-)

teresa said...

what a yummy cake, so perfect for so many occasions.

mr. pineapple man said...

where is homer?? love the finger in the cake :)

freerangegirl said...

Great cake - I've made this and it totally hits the spot! lush pictures too x

HanaĆ¢ said...

The cake looks great and how lucky that you got yourself a little helper!! Kudos to him for the star he earned :o)

Angela said...

Looks wonderful! Congrats you your little helper on his star.

chow and chatter said...

looks great I am with you easy cakes all the way for me

Julie said...

Oh my, that Nigella knows her yummy stuff. Clever of you to make it a bit easier on the hips and still be delish :)

Beth said...

What a fun and easy recipe. You had a dedicated little helper!

Pam said...

This definitely looks sweet and tasty and I'd love to have a slice right now!

Roxan said...

Light condensed milk, I've never seen that before! But I like the idea of it. I absolutely love condensed milk but don't have it too often because of the calories/fat.

This cake looks wonderful. Happy birthday to your sister!

Kim said...

I love low maintenance cakes and desserts and this one looks great!

Hope your sister had a great birthday.

Caroline said...

Looks delicious - and your little helper is very sweet too! I love quick and easy cake recipes, it's all about the taste!

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

Why aren't we neighbors!! This looks so yummy. Fairly direct instructions too.

Annie said...

lazy bakers and one pot wonders - were you talking to me?? now if my cake comes out just like yours, i will be very happy!

Chocolate Here said...

All I can say is Lucky Sister!!!

Domestic Goddess Wannabe said...

This looks yummy, and I agree, just what the Doctor ordered. Chocolate is the cure to all ails (and any other excuse if you ask me)!

Unknown said...

Wondeful, yummy and totally what the doctor ordered.
I will make a pot of coffee and your welcome to stop by and share your cakes anytime.....
I just followed you so I can keep up on the good stuff.
If you want to know more about me I invite you to my art website,
~Jean
http://www.jeanhartartwork.com

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

Lord bless Nigella and her one pot wonder cakes. And all her cakes. And chocolate recipes. And pretty much any recipe of Nigella's! I LOVE that you tinkered and made this simpler and lower in fat. So perfect. I have to say I often like cakes perfectly fine without icing (drives my husband crazy) so this sounds perfect to me. Thanks for sharing another gem!

BTW - I was just in Ireland and in Cork a few weeks ago. So beautiful!!!

cupcakegirl said...

Oh I am a very lazy baker and often find myself sudenly wanting cake late at night so this recipie suits me down to the ground. Thank you

Anonymous said...

Your cake looks fantastic! Thanks for commenting on my blog. I've added you to my Google Reader and look forward to your future posts!

Mary Bergfeld said...

This really is a lovely recipe. I have nothing against quick, easy and adaptable. You did really well this this. I hope you have had a wonderful weekend. Blessings...Mary

Unknown said...

Lots of Nigella's recipes are made in one bowl, it's fabulous for cutting down on the washing up! The ganache looks very tempting!

Thanks for taking part in Forever Nigella.

Zoe said...

It's always hard to resist a chocolate cake...plus this is a nice and easy recipe. Now, it is even harder to resist baking this cake...

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

Ha ha , that doc is coollll(so what if he only lies in ur imagination:-) )
And ur sis's little angel is cuteeee, that little star >3
And u choose wonderful for this months FN , the cake sure looks wonderful!
Thannx a ton for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. You want chocolate and you want it now and there will be no messing around! That looks delish. I bet your little helper like it too.

My Little Space said...

The cake looks wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing the link as well. That's so nice of you. Will check it out soon. Hope you're having a great day, dear.
Cheers, Kristy

Anonymous said...

Your cake looks fab, I have tried the original recipe a couple of times and not been over impressed so I might give your version a whirl. I know that Doctor very well.

laurie said...

I bet it was a hit!

La Bella Cooks said...

I love how easy it is! This looks like a fabulous cake and I love the decor of your little helper. ;) So sweet.

Mary said...

That looks so good! I've never tried a cake with condensed milk in it, so I'll have to find an occasion for this. Breakfast, maybe?
:)

Angela said...

I hope you don't mind that I gave you blog a bit of a nod in my post today. I just think it is lovely.

joanne Murphy said...

wow that cake looks so yummy! I'm still eating a sticky toffee pudding i made last weekend so this is next on the list!

Anonymous said...

this cake looks very decadent:) thanks for sharing this.

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a smart, simple and lovely cake. It really looks delicious and I'd really like to have piece with my coffee this afternoon. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Sarah said...

Hello, thanks for the recommendation of How to Eat. I have yet to buy my first Nigella book but this one is starting to appeal to me. Do you own many? This cake sounds like a great way to whip up an easy dessert. Thanks!

Susan Lindquist said...

What a cake! i love it when a recipe is soooo simple and soooo satisfying! And I loved seeing your helper enjoying his part in the making! Teehee!

Brownieville Girl said...

Thanks a million everyone!

Chele - I can channel that doctor so any queries just e-mail me!!!!

Miss F&P - hope you had a great time - if ever you need any help on hotels or restaurants etc just give me a shout!

Sarah - I have all of them!! How to Eat is my favourite with Feast coming a near second.

Once again thank you all :-}}

Gloria Baker said...

I love this little hand in the cake!! amazing! gloria

Johanna GGG said...

condensed milk instead of butter - be still my beating heart - I love love lover condensed milk

Sally - My Custard Pie said...

Interesting substitution (cm for butter). Great illustration of how irresistable it is.