Wednesday, April 14, 2010

CUPCAKES - YUMMM



Man oh man, these cupcakes are the business!!  The recipe comes from "The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook", another book I haven't cooked from before (she says blushing).  They are lusciously rich and gorgeous, with a definite vanilla flavour - which I love.  I halved the icing mixture making half vanilla and the other half chocolate (to appeal to certain person chez moi!!).

I received a compliment and a request yesterday (no surer way to get any recipe blogged!!!) from K, who needed a really easy cupcake recipe and this is definitely it - no need to cream the butter and sugar (if you were clever enough to take the butter out of the fridge and it is at room temperature that is) you just mix half the ingredients, separately mix the other half and then combine.  Could that be easier??


Hummingbird Vanilla Cupcakes

120g       plain flour
140g       caster sugar
1 1/2tsp  baking powder
40g         butter - room temperature
120ml     whole milk
1             medium egg
1/4tsp     vanilla extract.

Preheat oven to 170 C
Line you bun tray with paper cases (12 if large, 18 if small)

Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and butter with your mixer's paddle attachment if you have one - otherwise use what you have, beat on a slow speed until the mixture has a sandy consistency, then add 60ml of the milk gradually and beat until incorporated.
In another bowl, whisk the egg, vanilla extract and the other 60ml of milk and then pour into the flour mixture.
Beat until smooth (remember to scrape down the sides of the bowl to incorporate everything) Don't over mix.
Spoon the mixture into the cases, 2/3 full and bake for 15 - 25 minutes (depending on size) until a light golden colour (and a skewer comes out clean).
Allow to cool and then ice.

Vanilla Icing

250g        icing sugar - sifted
80g          butter - room temperature
25ml        milk
1/4tsp     vanilla extract

Beat the sugar and butter.
Separately combine milk and vanilla and add this spoon by spoon to the sugar mixture.
When all the milk is incorporated beat on high for at least 5 minutes 10 is better.

6 comments:

mr. pineapple man said...

im going to try this tomorrow! thanks for the recipe!

Manu said...

I love your sugar flowers, I've got the same but purple . . . I love every purple thing!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Those cupcakes are so cute! I have to try that recipe, sounds so good!!!!

Jutta said...

Great, another cupcake recipe for me to try with little Miss B. I will give them a go.
I have to admit to having the problem of forgetting to get butter and eggs out of the fridge in preparation for baking, but I am getting better! In summer in Australia, I would sometimes just pop the butter in a sunny spot for a little bit and it would be ready but that doesn't work here in London.

Brownieville Girl said...

Jutta, glad to know someone else has memory issues!!!

Manu, your purple addiction is well known!!!!

Mr P.M and Angela, please do try these cupcakes they really are very good:}}

Melanie Heavenly said...

I have the same sugars flower too. I think I got them from Tesco. My kitchen is always cold in winter, even with the heating on so room temperature in the truest sense of the word never works for me. I always put my butter in the microwave on low for about 10-20 seconds and then it's lovely and soft for creaming with sugar.