Tuesday, April 13, 2010

PIZZA RECIPE

Pizza Base
7g          dry yeast
1/2 tsp   caster sugar
180ml    warm water
300g      plain flour (I used bread flour)
1 tsp      salt
2 tbsp    extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp    polenta (corn meal)


Mix the yeast, sugar and water together, allow to stand (covered) for about 10 minutes or until frothy.
Sift the flour and salt into the bowl of your mixer.
Add the yeast mixture and olive oil - mix to a soft dough.  Add extra water if necessary.
Knead the dough until smooth and elastic about 10 minutes by hand, 6 by machine.
Take the dough out of the bowl with one hand, oil the bowl with the other and then replace the dough (saving washing up!)
Leave covered in a warm place for about an hour or until doubled in size.
Remove the dough from the bowl and massage the air out (AWW tell you to punch it out - but I'm too nice!!)
Turn on the oven at 240 C.
Knead on a floured surface until smooth.
Divide the dough in half, and roll each half to your desired thickness - about 20x35cm.
Place on a oiled (or floured) baking tray.
Sprinkle the dough with polenta and prick the base with a fork.
Cover with your topping of choice.
Bake for about 15 - 20 minutes, or until it looks ready.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Manu said...

OHHHHHH I love pizza I'd eat pizza every day. Why did you bake cherry tomatoes? I use to put them on pizza just before eat it, with also some flakes of parmesan and oil, delicious and fresh!

Brownieville Girl said...

Manu, I love roasted cherry tomatoes - they are like self saucing morsels!!
At this time of year the tomatoes are imported and don't have alot of flavour - roasting intensifies what flavour they do have.
I'm sure that if I could get delicious Italian tomatoes I would do as you do:}

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe it's definitely a really good reward for my brother who got his Basset Certification last week. But still work on the dough first. I'm not really the cook-type but I'd like to do something special for him.