Sunday, April 4, 2010

HAPPY EASTER

Happy Easter to each and all, hope you are having a wonderful day.

Today we had this nummy cake for dessert, it is a Nigella Lawson delight of course (afraid I'm getting a bit predictable!).  I have been waiting for an occasion to make the Nutella Cake for a while, and Easter (the feast of chocolate!!) is just the day.  I had hidden away a jar of nutella from my last shopping trip (somehow they just seem to disappear) and was all set.

The one draw back on the preparation of this cake was the mess....


seemed to use up an awful lot of dishes!!!

Worth it though - it tasted wonderful, imagine a light, mousy, textural nutella and you have it.  My mother, who is not a nut person (I was going to say "nutty maybe" but I won't!!) loved it, she even went back for seconds (despite the diet:-o).

Here it is as I made it:


Nutella Cake

6           large eggs, separated
pinch of salt
125g     softened butter
400g     nutella
1tbsp    rum (or Frangelico or water)
100g    hazelnuts - ground
100g    dark chocolate - melted

Icing

100g     dark chocolate
100ml    cream
1tbsp     rum
1 pkt candy covered chocolate eggs

Preheat oven to 180 C
Prepare 23cm spring form tin

Whip the egg whites and salt until stiff.
In another bowl beat the butter and Nutella together, then add the rum.
Add the egg yolks and ground hazelnuts then fold in the cooled melted chocolate.
Stir in a spoon of the egg white to loosen the mixture, fold in the rest of the egg white gently to retain as much air as possible.
Pour into the prepared tin and cook for 40 minutes or until the cake begins to come away from the sides. (This actually took about 55 minutes in my oven)
When ready remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 15 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
When the cake is cold, make the icing.
In a heavy bottomed pan heat the cream, chocolate and rum gently.
When the chocolate is melted remove from the heat and whisk until it becomes smooth.
Pour over the cake and allow to cool for 5 minutes, then scatter with the chocolate Easter eggs (or with 100g of toasted hazelnuts as in the original recipe)



Enjoy!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter, that cakes looks wonderful.

Bigarade said...

Happy easter!
that second picture is like a mirror image of my kitchen at this moment in time!
cooking is the great bit,tidying up is where the hard work starts :(
Great post :)

Jutta said...

Happy Easter BG!
As you can tell from the cupcakes on my blog, I am a huge fan of the little sugar-coated chocolate eggs.
I love Nutella, so save me a slice, I will be on the next flight! Oh no, budget won't stretch so I guess I will have to make the cake myself.
Have you ever been to Italy? They have huge jars of Nutella there. I ate so much Nutella Gelati in Florence.

Eating Ethnic with Edie said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Your cake looks awesome! We're big fans of Nutella so I'll have to jot down your recipe so I can make it for our next special occasion. I spent a little time looking through your posts and there's a few recipes I want to try (especially the bread recipes).

Happy Easter!

Rhyleysgranny said...

Aren't you brave showing the chaos. Mind you it's mild compared to mine sometimes. LOL:) The cake looks wonderful I haven't tried that one yet

Nickki said...

Your cake looks absolutely gorgeous! I made Nigella's nutella cake recently and loved it.

Lucie said...

I have had my eye on this cake for ages - this looks fab! I love the dishes photo - I thought it was just me who ended up like that :) I also get flour on my slippers - such an attractive look! ha ha. Great Blog - I'm following now :)

Brownieville Girl said...

Thanks everyone.

Wish that was an unusual state for my kitchen!!!!

The Caked Crusader said...

I'm a huge fan of nutella in baking - your cake looks scrummy!