Sunday, October 30, 2011

HAGGIS?? REALLY?? HAGGIS??



This month's Random Recipe Challenge was "I'll show you mine, if you show me yours", whereby Dom paired us up and another blogger gets to choose the recipe we'll cook (have a look at Dom's instructions, it's too difficult to explain!!!).

I was incredibly lucky to be allocated Lou, from Please Do Not Feed the Animals, a seriously wonderful blog.  Lou is the sort of person that I think I shouldn't like (she has a highly satisfying career, is an outstanding baker, has a husband who cooks up a storm, her kids could grace any add campaign, they are beyond gorgeous) but jealousy aside, she is a pure pet!  On top of all those wonderful attributes Lou is also Physic - well how else do you explain a woman from Scotland choosing what I'm sure is the only haggis recipe in my whole collection - yes you read correctly - Haggis!!!!!

Lou did offer to post me over some haggis (see what I mean, such a nice person) but I thought I'd seen some in M&S and reckoned I'd have no problem - ha, it's impossible to source haggis in Ireland.  I decided to go ahead with the recipe anyway and  I reckoned that black pudding would make a good substitute (with deepest apologies to all the haggis fans out there!!), so I went ahead and cooked "Haggis, potato, bacon and apple fry-up" without the haggis.

I should have mentioned before now that my chosen book was The Really Helpful Cookbook by Ruth Watson, this is actually an excellent book - but this recipe is obviously a filler - I'd guess that she made a dinner from left-overs the night before she submitted the book and had to throw an extra recipe in there, and in it went!  If some evening you have some left over haggis (or black pudding) and potatoes in the fridge, with some bacon in there too and some apples in the fruit bowl - you could try this, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

There is no point in giving you the recipe - you just fry up some onions, garlic, potatoes (black pudding if using) in some olive oil and add some crisp apple for the last two minutes - serve with some haggis (if you have some) - easy as that. 

15 comments:

little macaroon. said...

Yum! I reckon black pudding would work even better (but I'd eat a mountain of either BP or haggis in this recipe - delicious!) And if you see them again, M&S haggis are quite good ones usually.

Unknown said...

Totally random!!! Isn't it remarkable how this challenge opens up those pesky dark corners of the bookshelf. I actually love black pudding so this for me would be a gem! Thanks so much for taking part. Xx

Please Do Not Feed The Animals. said...

Aw thank you for saying such lovely things.
Shame you didn't get the haggis but I think you're right - this combination of ingredients was made for black pudding.
I reckon I would love that combination. I certainly enjoy making a salad with black pudding, bacon and apple so it's just a variation on that and I'm sure some salad leaves would be a great addition.

Oh well, my psychic abilities failed to get you to eat haggis. Maybe next time...mwahahaha.

Nicola @41feasts said...

I've popped over from Dom's blog - you're right, this is such a left overs dinner, at least it is in our house. My parents bring me Clonakilty black pudding from home whenever they visit & I love to add it to whatever's in the fridge. Its great with bulgar wheat. I've not added apples before, will do that next time!

Anna's kitchen table said...

Ha ha!! The post title says it all ;-))
Well done BVG!!

Jean said...

This looks lovely!! But then I love black pudding, bubble and squeak and anything you can make creatively with leftovers.
Sometimes I'd rather use the leftovers, passing over the unused stuff that then becomes leftovers, if you see what I mean......

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

I wouldn't know haggis if it was sitting on a plate in front of me . . . or black pudding for that matter! LOL!!! So I Googled them! LOL!!!

I guess they are just not that common in the USA . . . but as a country were're only 235 years old - mere kids, we're not as sophisticated as our European friends.

That said, I've been reading some of these posts and it sounds like it was a fun challenge!

Happy Halloween!

Javelin Warrior said...

You are truly adventurous - I have never heard of haggis and wikipedia describes it almost like some kind of sausage cooked in a sheep's stomach??? I must confess, the words "black pudding" scares me almost as much as it intrigues me. I'm worried there may be blood involved. ;)

Stephen C said...

You folks over there in the sunny isles sure do have a good time.

Choclette said...

In my bad old meat eating days, I used to love haggis so think this is an excellent dish which I would have tucked into with gusto. But I'm all for improvisation, so well done you.

Victory Rolls & Mixing Bowls said...

no not haggis!! I feel for you I'm not sure how I'd work with this!

Nom! x

Brownieville Girl said...

Thanks everyone.

JW - I'm afraid you are right there is blood involved!!!!

Sunny Stephen???? Not even in the summer!!!!!

Salad would have been a good idea Lou - some rockett leaves would have made a huge difference.

Susan said...

I quite fancy this recipe as I love all the ingredients...find it odd others don't (is it just me...LOL)?

Sue/the view from great island said...

OMG I feel for you! You are a good sport, I don't think I could have followed through.

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

My friend traveled to Scotland on business and had to eat Haggis at a dinner in her honor. She said it wasn't as bad as she had expected. Your a good sport!!!