Friday, November 11, 2011

PAINT IT PURPLE





A number of years ago, a good friend told me that she had been the victim of domestic violence - she had suffered for years in silence, I think that the worst part for her was the isolation, being unable to talk about her experience.  I am so proud of her that she had the courage to leave the awful situation she was in, and was and am delighted to help in any way I possibly can (although truth be told since my sister's death she has been the one doing all the helping!).

The Pixel Project were in contact with me recently, I am delighted to be able to participate in their "Paint It Purple" Cupcake Online Recipe Gallery which is a campaign to to raise awareness and funds for the cause to end violence against women (VAW) in communities worldwide.  They do this work using social media and new technologies. We can help by baking and photographing a cupcake for their website and writing a bit about their wonderful work. 

Coincidentally I had recently baked Lavender Cupcakes from the wonderful "Red Velvet, Chocolate Heartache" by Harry Eastwood - talk about predestined!!  They were absolutely delicious, the lavender flavour was present but subtle (I had feared a soapy taste, nothing could be further from the reality).  The courgette on the other hand was completely unrecognisable!  The nicest possible way to get one of your "five a day"!!!

Lavender Cupcakes
adapted from Red Velvet, Chocolate Heartache


For the cupcakes

2            eggs
160g      lavender sugar
220g      grated peeled courgette
1 tsp      vanilla extract
100g      rice flour
120g      ground almonds
2 tsp      baking powder
1/4 tsp   salt

For the icing

140g      icing sugar sifted
3 tbsp    blueberry juice

Preheat oven to 180 C
Line a 12 hole muffin tray with papers

Using an electric whisk, beat the eggs and sugar until pale and frothy (this will take about 5 minutes)
Add the grated courgette and the vanilla extract and whisk again.
Fold in the flour, ground almonds, baking powder and salt, and combine.
Using an ice cream scoop divide the mixture evenly between the muffin cases.
Bake for 20 minutes, until risen and a skewer comes out clean.
Remove to a wire rack to cool.
Prepare the icing by adding the juice to the icing sugar - stir well to combine.
When the cupcakes are cold spread the icing over the top.
You can decorate with some lavender flowers if you have some available.

Enjoy.

19 comments:

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

You are always thinking about someone else. I bet you have a line of friends who want to come around for a cup of tea at your house. The recipe sounds great. When would have a chance to put blueberries and zucchini's together. Isn't it amazing how some ingredients just fit.

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

Domestic violence is horrendous, my youngest sister experienced it in her short marriage. My dad was beside himself that someone could treat one of his daughters like this. She took her 9 mo. old baby and never looked back. My parents were her rock. I've never heard of this organization, I'm going to check it out!

I can't wait to try your recipe, it looks yummy!

Gloria Baker said...

Look delicious and for a good cause, Brownie I will post mine Monday I think , lol Hos you know is not only the dometic violence is a psicological violence too that hurt!! xxxgloria

scrumptious days said...

Such an important cause to highlight. I have taught children living in homes were violence is common place, it's wonderful when the mothers have the support to leave.

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

A horrible horrible thing it must be to live through. It is nice to think there are people out there helping and you have done your it too. Bravo xx

Unknown said...

what a lovely thing to do for your dear friend... horrid thing to have had to go through... words escape me really... nice purple icing though xx

Jean said...

They look gorgeous !! I love the purple icing and the little piece of lavender on top.

The Cookie Jar said...

You never know what is going on behind closed. A very important cause to support.

Have alway been nervous of baking with lavander, afraid of ending up with a strong perfume taste.

Choclette said...

Oh well done BVG, it's good to raise awareness of these terrible things. The cupcakes sound fab and I love the colour of the icing ONLY should there be sugar or some sort of sweetener in the cake?

Karen S Booth said...

A very poignant post and one that I know about, my first marriage many years ago was violent and I finally got out, but only after lots of support......I am so sad for your friend, but I did it and escaped to a happier and more fulfilling life.....I hope she does too.....ans SUCH pretty cakes.

Brownieville Girl said...

Choclette, there is plenty of lavender sugar in there!!!

Karen, so glad to know that you have turned things around so well.

Thanks everyone for the lovely comments.

Anonymous said...

What a nice thing to do. And the cupcake is gorgeous!

Nessa Robins said...

Domestic violence is something that most who experience it find terribly difficult to talk about, therefore Public awareness is essential! Well done for becoming involved in the campaign. And the cupcakes sound really lovely :)

Maxine said...

What a wonderful idea (baking for awareness) -
You surely are someone special BVG - always thinking and doing for others - considering the year that has been for you - Yes, you are indeed an inspiration to many - and many say *thankyou*
DV is such a silent hell for one to live in - may your purple cupcake and all the others be a roar around the world to stop the silence.

Your far away friend
Maxine x

Susan Lindquist said...

Beautiful cakes for an incredibly important cause ... years ago, I worked with a young woman who had strange bruises and tender joints. She would always dismiss questions and concerns, but the icing on my cake was the day she showed up at a meeting with a burn on her face ... when I confronted her to ask if she was safe. She looked at me deadpan and said the teabag exploded her hot water when she removed her mug from the microwave. I looked at her ... really looked at her and the look in her eyes told me the truth ... I'm so glad she left that man shortly thereafter ... I'm still a bit haunted by that moment. Good for you BVG!

Unknown said...

The cakes look lovely, Such a wonderful colour. And such an important cause. As you say, it is so good that your friend got away, and is able to talk to you about it. Thank you for highlighting the issues through the blog post and with your recipe. x

Choclette said...

Ha ha, so there is - how did I miss that - doh!

Maria♥ said...

Cupcake looks beautiful and what a great cause to support in the way of baking!

Maria
x

Manu said...

Great cause and great cupcakes ;-)
Have a nice week