Tuesday, November 29, 2011

RANDOM NO CROUTON RECIPE






This month Dom and Jac * have teamed up to challenge us to pick a random veggie soup recipe and prepare it for your enjoyment (and ours of course!).  Dom has allowed us to choose our own method of randomising (?) our recipe, so I decided I would choose the first book to hand and cook the first soup recipe for which I had all the ingredients in stock.

I have been using Catherine Fulvio's Family Kitchen alot recently and her Roasted Yellow Pepper Soup and Tomato Soup looked delicious but there are pepper allergies in this house so I made her Tomato soup all on it's own, and combined it with her Soda Focaccia, and all I can say is it was the easiest,  tastiest lunch I have had in ages.  The sundried tomatoes in the soup really intensify the flavour - skrummy stuff.

*Dom and Jac - don't present a children's TV show!! They write two excellent blogs - really worth visiting if you haven't already done so.

Tomato Soup
from Catherine Fulvio

extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, sliced
2 sundried tomatoes, chopped
1 potato, peeled and chopped
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
300ml vegetable stock
2 tsp chopped fresh basil
salt and pepper

Fry the garlic and sundried tomatoes in some olive oil for a minute.
Stir in the potato, tomatoes and stock and bring to the boil.
Reduce the heat and simmer for  10-15 minutes, until the potato is cooked through.
Add the basil and remove from the heat.
Puree the soup and taste for seasoning.
Add more stock if needed.

Serve and enjoy.

18 comments:

Maria♥ said...

Soups are so comforting during these winter months, love them. Your soup looks and sounds really yummy!

Maria
x

Unknown said...

Oh I like the idea of a children's tv show. I'd be perfect, if not a tad old... Genius!! Welcome to the Dom and Jac show! ... Nice soup and I love the soda focaccia. That looks fabulous! Thanks for taking part xx

Rose H (UK) said...

Mmmm, I love soup, especially this time of year.

laura_howtocook said...

I never tire of tomato soup and your soda focaccia looks fantastic too!

Phil in the Kitchen said...

Lovely sounding soup. If Dom and Jac did take up presenting a children's TV show, then I'd definitely watch.

little macaroon. said...

I've had agonising indigestion the last two times I made red pepper soup (a family favourite)... I had no idea people could be allergic to peppers - NOOOOO!

Ana Regalado said...

The tomato soup looks yummy so as the foccacia ;) Really good for this wintry days .

cocoa and coconut said...

It looks healthy and wholesome. I must agree with the above ^^ perfect for cold days when you want to snuggle up with something warm

Unknown said...

I do love a good wintery soup, Think I will make this for healthy packed lunches at work.

Great post

x

Anonymous said...

Sometimes a simple soup is just what you need for lunch. Looks yummy!

Caroline said...

The soup looks lovely and I really like the sound of that soda foccacia too. A lovely lunch indeed.

Zoe said...

This soup is beautiful. I would eat this with a slice of bread.

Shu Han said...

Oh this looks yum! Great idea on adding a bit of sundried tomatoes for extra oomph to a tomato soup! and you even made soda foccacia?!

Gloria Baker said...

Love this soup Brownie:) look delicious!

teresa said...

oh yum, so warm and yummy!

Javelin Warrior said...

Interesting - I've never added potato to tomato soup before but I'd imagine it'd make a fantastic thickener. Your's is a delightful consistency!

Please Do Not Feed The Animals. said...

You haven't posted for a while - hope you're doing okay BVG. I'm sure you're very busy.
I have tagged you in the food blogger unplugged but no pressure to do it - I know you have a lot on your plate. xx

Karen S Booth said...

I missed this post, sorry, but I am here now and I don't see you much lately ~ I HOPE you are happy and well!
You cannot beat a tomato soup and this looks great!