Friday, July 9, 2010

OBSESSIVE, ME???????



My two current obsessions .... Sudoku and  vegetable muffins, could be worse I suppose!  (I won't mention the fact that I got up during the night last week because I hadn't finished the sudoku, or that I got up before 6 the other morning to make these muffins - that would be slightly OCD wouldn't it?!!)

Anyway the muffins were actually worth getting up for .... they had a wonderful chocolate hit, perfect texture and all that goodness from the sweet potato.  I should confess at this point  that although I have made many cupcakes and muffins from "Red Velvet Chocolate Heartache" I have omitted the icing from all of them - my idea of being on a diet!  These cupcake/muffins were a (very welcome)  revelation in that on the second day they had developed an icing like top, very strange but absolutely delicious!!

They started life as cappuccino cupcakes, but with a bit of tweaking ended up as chocolate, self icing muffins in my kitchen!!!  This is how I made them:

Self Icing Chocolate Muffins

2         medium eggs
160g   caster sugar
200g   peeled and finely grated sweet potato
100g   rice flour
100g   ground almonds
2 tsp   baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3 tbsp  hot water
3 tbsp  cocoa

Preheat oven to 180 C
Line muffin tin with muffin papers

Mix the sugar and eggs for 5 minutes until light and fluffy (Freestanding mixer excellent here)
Grate the sweet potato while this is mixing.
Add the sweet potato to the egg mixture and combine carefully.
Stir in the flour, ground almonds, salt and baking powder.
Combine the water and cocoa to make a paste, then add this to the batter.
Divide between the muffin cases (ice cream scoop very handy here)
Bake for about 20 minutes.
Remove from the oven when a skewer comes out clean.
Cool on a wire rack.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

Maria♥ said...

Don't worry I'm known for having some OCD's too, must be the perfectionist Virgo in me!

I have the book Red Velvet Chocolate Heartache and I've still yet to bake from it. I bet these muffins are lovely and moist from the sweet potato.

Maria
x

Anonymous said...

Do you think the sugar from the sweet potato rises to the top? Lovely looking though x

Unknown said...

When it comes to baking, my obsession is using olive oil instead of butter. I am always looking for olive oil cake and muffin recipes.
Gorgeous little cakes daaaaaaahling. Got one for me?
Have a great weekend.
*kisses* HH

Brownieville Girl said...

Maria, I hope you try it soon, I'd love to know what you think of the recipes!

Dominic, I don't know what happened, but it ended up with a really fudgy top, wish it happened with more of my muffins!

HH, olive oil cakes, sounds really interesting, am heading over to your blog to suss out your favourite recipe :-}

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Sweet potato in a muffin, cool! I bet they were lovely and moist. I am glad you changed them to chocolate, i'm not keen on coffee :)

The Caked Crusader said...

I'm up before 6 every work morning...but sadly not to make muffins!
I like a good sudoku too, but prefer the Times 2 crossword