Sunday, July 11, 2010

ROAST SPUDS



Dominic over on Belleau Kitchen (a wonderful, entertaining blog) has issued a challenge to find the perfect roastie.  Now I know that mine are not perfection but after many years of working on them, I think they are pretty good!!

My great discovery on the roast potato front is time .... they need to be roasted for far longer than any cookery book instructs, I find that the best roast potatoes I make are on days when someone turns up late for dinner!!  So my "secret" is to roast the spuds for at least 1 1/2 hours, then you get the desired crispy outside and soft, yielding center.

I use Rooster (red skinned) potatoes, peel and boil them, until nearly cooked.  Mine are usually too cooked to do the tossing about bit after they are drained (!) but if possible I give them a gentle toss.  Next I pour them carefully onto the roasting tray, pour over extra virgin olive oil* and bung in the oven at 180 C.

Cook for as long as you can stand, then enjoy your very low effort roasties.

*A spout like this is a great addition to the kitchen, and makes drizzling olive oil over the potatoes very exact, and less wasteful. (My inner Suzie Homemaker coming out again!)

13 comments:

Jannett said...

A perfect roasted potato..I would have to say... :)

Jutta said...

They look mouth-watering! I love roast spuds. Who doesn't you say? One of my friends only likes potatoes mashed - I just don't understand that. Our 2 year old's favourite food is roast potato - now that girl has taste! I am also a fan of the red-skin potatoes for roasting and mashing actually.

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness... I think these look the best so far... crispy and dry... I'm starving now and need to go an eat, or actually can you pop over and bring these to me...NOW...! (the one centre left looks like my fave...) x

Anonymous said...

btw... thanks for the lovely comment... x

Julie said...

Never thought of boiling them first...they look just perfect!

BetterLate said...

Want want want !!

(Please...)

La Bella Cooks said...

These would definitely become an instant favorite of mine. They look fabulous.

Prema said...

fantastic,luks very tempting...

Saffy said...

Given how cold it is here at the moment, I'm salivating. Given it's still brekkie time here, I'll need to wait til tonight but definitely an easy and oh so yummy carb fix. I don't normally boil first but seems logical. Thanks BG.

Unknown said...

I wish I could reach into my computer and get some of those delicious looking potatoes!

cocoa and coconut said...

mm just perfect for a family dinner. i love my spuds crisp like that

thecelticcookinshanghai said...

You can't beat a good roast potato. Yours look delish. Mmmm

Brownieville Girl said...

Thanks everyone - sorry didn't reply sooner, had a virus (computer not me!!)