Wednesday, May 12, 2010

BROWNIES EIGHT





There is something I really like about Tamasin Day-Lewis, (apart from being Daniel Day-Lewis's sister) I particularly like her programmes from her old house, where she produces really fantastic food from a tiny kitchen, a wonkey cooker and a serious lack of gadgets - there is something incredibly accessible about her and her food.

I am also a fan of her cookery books, she has some really fantastic (and different) recipes, although I do think she labours the "organic" point a bit too much.  My most recent TDL book is Tamasin's Kitchen Bible which I bought about six months ago, I have read it extensively but haven't cooked much from it.

No prizes in guessing what my first port of call is in any new book!!  And these are her Chocolate Brownies, and very nice they are too.  They had a perfect chocolate hit, and that melt in the mouth texture that is so necessary in a good brownie - my only criticism (and it's small) is that I prefer my brownies a bit higher (taller?) and next time I make them I will use a smaller tin. (This will also help with the drying out at the edges issue!)

For Saffy - there come in at 2nd/3rd place!!


TDL's Brownies

200g             dark chocolate (as ever good quality is really important)
110g             softened butter
225g             caster sugar (unrefined vanilla is best)
2 eggs and 1 egg yolk  (I used 3 whole eggs as mine were only medium sized)
3 tbsp           freshly made strong coffee
140g             plain flour
1 tsp             baking powder
a handful of whole hazelnuts (I used toasted)

Preheat oven to 180 C
Prepare a 30x22cm/12x9in tin (although I will use a smaller tin next time) with parchment paper.

Melt the chocolate in a bowl, placed over (not touching) simmering water.
Cream the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Pour in the chocolate and coffee and stir.
Sift in the flour and baking powder and fold in carefully.
Pour the mixture into the prepared tin.
Push in hazelnuts (so that you have one in each brownie when cooked and cut up)




Cook for about 25 minutes (you should check before this, mine were overcooked at the edges)
Leave to cool in the tin for 15/20 minutes then remove to a wire rack.

Enjoy.

P.S. (For Irish readers)  This book is being sold at a bargain price in Easons at the moment - worth a look!

10 comments:

Lucie said...

These brownies look perfect - so fudgey and decadent! I like TDL too, I must invest in one of her books. Lucie x

Brownieville Girl said...

I have four of her books Lucie, they are all excellent. I cook her recipe of lamb with a black olive tapenade regularly - will blog about it soon.

La Bella Cooks said...

I don't think we have her books over here but I am off to check on the internet. It sounds like her recipes are accessible, which I like a lot. Your brownies looks divine as usual and I love the idea that they melt in your mouth.

Maria♥ said...

I love the look of these brownies, they look so gooey and lush! I have TDL Kitchen Bible, one of my favourite books of hers.

Maria
x

À LA GRAHAM said...

Perfect...I am so in the mood for these right now!

Coby said...

Oooh, they're hazelnuts? Lovely addition (I had thought at first they were white chocolate bits). I have only a couple of TDL's books, and have only had the pleasure of seeing one of her cooking episodes. I was flumuxed to see the dinky kitchen, and felt ashamed at ever having whinged at the kitchens I have been in as being the reason for not cooking more! These get a high rating, and I can see why:D

Manu said...

Yummy, I love choc!May I have a slice of this now?

Saffy said...

High ranking indeed! ;) Chocolate and coffee. Nature's perfect combo.

Please tell me - are the BG family getting really fussy about their brownies? As in do they just pick at them if they're not in the top 3, or do they still get wolfed down? I've got D (at her whole 9 months) eating brownie now... shhhhh!

Is it as this point that I admit how stoopid I've been in not making the connection of TDL with her brother. *smacks forehead*

Unknown said...

if i didnt just whip up a rice pudding i might be craving some brownies - but i ate too much rice creamy goodness lol agree about TDL and the organic thing, she hammers it... but she seems very normal, not overly sweet and perfect like alot of other female tv chefs try to be!

Brownieville Girl said...

Saffy, one pickey, two wolfers and one trying her best not to have more then one (for testing purposes only of course!!)

Manu - I would if only I could!!

TDL does seem more normal than most, particularly when you consider that Julia Roberts is a good friend of hers (mixes in different circles!!)

Coby, every time my oven drives me crazy - I think of the fantastic creations she produced from her battered old one!!!