Tuesday, May 25, 2010

EASY HANDY AND YUMMY



Eggs, goats cheese and mint - not a combination I would have thought of, but a very popular one in Corsica.  This omelette was a "cookalong" recipe on Nigella.com a few months ago, and has been a regular here ever since.  The tanginess of the cheese contrasts wonderfully with the smooth eggs, and then the mint brings along an unexpected fresh edge.

Somehow I always seem to have goats cheese in the fridge, even I have managed not to kill my mint plant (well not this current one anyway!) and there are usually eggs in the house (unless of course I have gone mad baking again!) making this a handy - but out of the ordinary - store cupboard standby.

In the background you can see the photo from Forever Summer and I have to say that Nigella (or her stylist) has done a far better job of shredding her mint!! 

Seemingly the Corsicans sometimes like to sprinkle their omelette with sugar which doesn't appeal to me at all - but reminds me of my first efforts in the culinary field,  Santy brought me "Look I Can Cook" (amongst other things!!) one Christmas, and I loved it!!  My favorite recipe was for an orange omelette - I made it all the time, my poor parents were given it at least once a week (parental love is a great thing!!) That is until a new rule was introduced - all mess had to be cleaned up by the cook - worked a treat!!!!!

Corsican Omelette

3       eggs    (I use 2) - beaten
15g   butter  (I use 1 tsp)
100g goats cheese (from a log)
fistful of mint leaves - shredded
salt and pepper

Melt the butter in a small frying pan, it needs to be hot and sizzling.
Add most of the mint and fry for a few moments.
Add the beaten egg and tip around the pan - add salt and pepper after about 30 seconds. (A tip I saw on T.V. stops the eggs going grey)
Crumble the cheese over the omelette and cook - lift the sides and swill the pan around to cook any runny egg.
When the top of the omelette looks nearly cooked - but still gooey.  Fold over as you like.
Sprinkle with the remaining mint and serve.

Enjoy.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm looking forward to browsing your recipes. BTW those apple muffins below look absolutely heavenly :-) Apples, yummmmmmmm....(Homer Simpson style mouth drooling.)

La Bella Cooks said...

I love the idea of the mint being in there. I am normally wearing of putting mint into anything that isn't sweet but I would love to try this recipe.

Lucie said...

ooo wonderful, isn't it nice when something you wouldn't have normally tried turns out to be tasty. I'll pass on the orange omelette though thanks :) Lucie xx

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Your omelette does look good. I'm not keen on the whole adding sugar to an omelette business.

Lisa said...

I love this recipe too and omelettes are always much tastier than I think they will be (not sure about the orange one though!). x

BetterLate said...

I hardly dared mention it on the Nigella forum (I think I just kinda whispered it as an aside) but Sophie Grigson has an almost identical recipe in her Sunshine Food, which came out two years before Nigella's version in Forever Summer. Who cares though ? It's a good recipe. I can take a little sugar in/on it quite happily, but tend to reduce the amount of cheese (not to mention the amount of egg - 2 give an ample size omelette for me, I find.)

Jutta said...

Looks delicious BG. I will have to try this one.

Unknown said...

Omelettes are one of my all time favourite dinners to eat when I'm on my own. I've made a goat cheese omelettes before, but never with the addition of mint, what a great idea :D
*kisses* HH

Sook said...

Adding goat cheese sounds like a great idea!

Saffy said...

It DOES look good. I'll fess tho that adding mint is something that has never crossed my mind before ;) But if you say it's good... it must be!

(hahaha the verification word started with mint!)

Choclette said...

Ooh what a fab idea - would never have thought of using mint in an omelette, but I like the sound of it. And your orange omelette brought back memories from long ago, I wonder if I had the same book (can't remember the title any more), it was my favourite recipe too.

Anonymous said...

I love goat cheese omelettes. I am greek so we always have feta in my house. I also have a lot of mint in my garden. I think it will be a great combination! YUM! Your blog always makes me hungry!!!:)

My Little Space said...

Omelette with goat cheese sounds wonderful! Love love love it. Enjoy!
Regards, Kristy