Monday, May 3, 2010

BROWNIES SEVEN




Enough of this healthy eating!!  Feel some brownies coming on - this recipe has been sitting in my "to try" file for quite some time.  As I hadn't entered the "mayo as an ingredient in goodies" world yet - I was apprehensive, but I shouldn't have been.  Of course when you think about it, why wouldn't it work?  Mayo is really just eggs and oil both normal baking ingredients.

They were really good, intense chocolate taste, moist, dense texture - excellent brownies. (The perfect way to blow the new healthy eating regime!!)   Actually when I think about it (and I don't often!!) they are probably  not as bad as they could be on the  "bad for your" scale - just 100g of mayonnaise and 85g chocolate, could be worse.

Still haven't toppled Nigella off the top though!


Mayonnaise Brownies

85g/3oz      Dark Chocolate - chopped small
85g/3oz      Plain Flour
25g/1oz      Cocoa Powder
1/4 tsp        Bread (bicarbonate of) Soda
100g/4oz    Caster Sugar
50g/2oz      Light Brown Sugar
1/2 tsp        instant coffee powder
1 tsp           vanilla extract
2 tbsp         buttermilk (you could use yogurt)
1                 large egg
100g/4oz    mayonnaise

Preheat oven to 180 C
Prepare a 19x19cm brownie tin


Sieve flour, cocoa and bread (bicarb.) soda and mix.
Melt the chocolate in a bowl suspended over a pan of simmering water.
Add the sugars, vanilla, coffee and buttermilk to the melted chocolate.
Add 1 tbsp. warm water.
Beat in the egg and then the mayonnaise.
Add the flour mixture and fold in.
Bake approx. minutes.
Cool in the tin for 20 minutes then move to a wire rack.

Enjoy.

9 comments:

Lucie said...

ooooo yum! These look so dense and fudgey - perfect. Hope you enjoyed them :)

Jutta said...

Looks delish! I love watching your brownie experiments.
BG I have just given you an award on my blog, please take a look. I am loving your blog!

browniegirl said...

Thanx for the visit to my blog. I was struck by the similarities in our blog names :o) I have a really nice recipe for a chocolate cake using mayonnaise. It works very well in chocolate cake.
Colleen xx

Pam said...

This looks pretty tasty to me! You're right with the mayo, it makes sense! When I was a newlywed, I made meatloaf in a slow cooker topped with mashed potatoes mixed with mayo. Do not try that! It was inedible! I'd just really like to have one of your brownies right now!

La Bella Cooks said...

I am loving all of these brownie posts! I can imagine the mayo just gives it that moist edge of decadence. They look heavenly.

Anonymous said...

Your brownies look great! Very moist looking. I've seen cake recipes with mayo in the ingredient list but never brownies. Once I get my tea party testing out of the way, I may have to try these.

Saffy said...

BG, hullo :) Are these no. 2 second only to Mrs Lawson's? I think you should have an official brownie ranking list on your side bar. I must say - these look a lot naughtier than those healthy ones you made. I could probably manage these without the icecream :p Yum. Your family must LOVE your brownie passion.

Brownieville Girl said...

Jutta, I am honoured - thank you so much.

Thanks browniegirl - my name came from Bob Dylan's Brownsville Girl!!!!

LOL Pam - I shudder to imagine some of the dishes I served up when I started cooking!!!

Lucy, Bridgett and Edie - thanks!

Saffy - great idea, the only problem with it is how to judge the places between top and bottom (I know the best and the worst - it's in between I find hard to rate!)

Brownieville Girl said...

Oh Saffy I forgot to answer your question - I think I'll put these beauts at number 3, after both of Ms Lawson's offerings!!