Sunday, May 16, 2010

CHOCOLATE MUFFINESS!



The two missing muffins were robbed on the long journey from the oven to the cooling rack!!!!!  And yes, they are that good.

I have a mixed relationship with muffins, leaving the batter lumpy is really difficult (I know if I don't... I'll have rubbery muffins) but when I get over my lump aversion (or if the recipe is kind) they are light, tasty  pieces of deliciousness!!

These muffins work really, really well ..... every time.  I used milk chocolate chips to make them more kiddie acceptable.  They are Nigella Lawson's from Feast.




Chocolate Chocolate-Chip Muffins  

250g             plain flour
2 tsp             baking powder
1/2tsp           bread (bicarbonate of) soda
2 tbsp           cocoa (Green and Black is good)
175g             caster sugar
150g             chocolate chips
250ml            milk
90ml              oil
1                   egg (large)
1 tsp             vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 200 C
Line muffin tray with paper cases.

Measure dry ingredients into a bowl.
Pour the wet ingredients into a measuring jug.
Mix together as little as you are able (!!!!) actually until very slightly lumpy.
Spoon into the waiting muffin cases - an ice-cream scoop works wonderfully.
Cook for approx 20 minutes - until risen and springy and until a stick of spaghetti comes out clean.

Enjoy!

8 comments:

Rhyleysgranny said...

Hmmmm wonder where the missing muffins went LOL. I have to join you in the lump aversion. There seems something not quite right about a lumpy mix. It takes a great deal of will power to stop mixing doesn't it? They look gorgeous. I could just lift one off the screen...............sigh

Lucie said...

These so good... No wonder they got snatched away so quickly! I must try this, I rarely make muffins so must remedy this! Lucie x

Lucie said...

Forgot to say BVG, just incase you are too -I am now on Facebook (search for Cooking at Marystow) and Twitter http://twitter.com/Lucievictoria

I am jumping on the bandwagon :) Lucie xx

La Bella Cooks said...

Oh yes, this recipe is heavenly so I totally understand the missing muffins. It happens around here a lot!

Anonymous said...

Missing muffins is a good sign that the recipe's a keeper!

Also, your beer bread looks interesting but what's granary flour? I've tried googling an American equivalent but can't seem to find anything.

Your expresso loaves (and lemon tea cakes) were a hit at our tea party. Only my family knew how simple they were to prepare. I'm excited to try out other yogurt/flavoring combinations (black cherry comes to mind). Thanks again for the recipe.

Anonymous said...

I just happened upon your blog. Love IT!!!

Brownieville Girl said...

Granny - welcome back!

Lucie, Love the new photo :-} I havn't braved facebook or twitter (feels like my boy's territory!!!) but will add (?) you when I do!!!

Bridgett, love your new photo too!!

Edie, I wouldn't go to too much bother looking for the granary flour (the brand Hovis would be the most popular one I know of) any other will do just as well Wholemeal, Rye, Spelt, White....
Delighted the cakes all went well :-}}}}}

Moogie, welcome by, and thanks!!

Maria♥ said...

Love muffins and chocolate in muffins is a must!

Maria
x