Monday, May 31, 2010

FAT FREE AND FANTASTIC!!



I should have known - if you tell people that something is good (better) for them - they won't choose to eat it!!!

I made a completely fat free cake for the coffee morning as a friend who is due to go to hospital to have her gall bladder removed was coming, and I wanted to serve something she could eat.  (I also thought it would to appeal to anyone on a diet) As it turned out S. ended up spending the morning in A+E (she is fine) so unfortunately she didn't get to try her cake. 

When people came in first, I explained that the rhubarb cake was fat free, they all said what a good idea and then chose something else to eat!!  People who subsequently arrived were far more likely to choose it!!!
I thought that this cake was very nice, and would have no hesitation in making it again - I would lower the amount of sugar, but other than that I would leave as is.

The cake has a lovely moist texture, the pieces of rhubarb give a nice sharp contrast to the sweet soft sponge, and then the cinnamon topping brings a lovely crunchy change in texture.

I found the recipe on a site called Belly Bytes.  I did quite a bit of research, there are plenty of fat free recipes out there.  Many of the fat free recipes contained whole eggs - therefore are not fat free, be careful!


Fat Free Rhubarb Cake

1/2 Cup       apple sauce *
1/2 Cup       sugar
1/2 Cup       brown sugar
1                 egg white
2                 cups flour
1/2 tsp         salt
1   tsp          bread (bicarbonate of) soda
1 tsp            vanilla extract
1 Cup          buttermilk
1 1/2 Cups   rhubarb, chopped

Topping
1/2 Cup        sugar
1 tsp             cinnamon

Prepare 21cm cake tin
Preheat oven to 165 C

Cream the apple sauce, sugars and egg.
Add the flour, salt, vanilla, soda, buttermilk and rhubarb.
Sprinkle the topping on top.
Bake for about 50 minutes - until a cake tester comes out clean.

*I made applesauce by cooking 2 apples with 1 tbsp limoncello (but water would be fine)

Enjoy.

6 comments:

Choclette said...

I have friends who say they prefer not to eat dairy so if I have a party I go to inordinate lengths to try and make some yummy foods with no cheese, butter or cream AND they always but always go straight for the cheesy stuff and cream cakes!

I'm a big fan of butter, but I bet this was lovely and moist with the apple and rhubarb.

Saffy said...

BG the ingredients do sound yum. Would you serve it with yoghurt on the side?

Anonymous said...

I just started back on weight watchers and have spent most of my holiday weekend searching for wholesome, healthy, points-friendly recipes. I think this cake might fit the bill. I'll have to seek out some rhubard around here. I'll let you know if I make it.

Brownieville Girl said...

Choclette, it was lovely and moist.

Saffy, yoghurt would be a great idea - it would cut through the sweetness.

Edie, you could use other fruit - blueberries would be very good or chunks of apple. Best of luck with WW.

Gloria Baker said...

I will try this look nice!! gloria

arista said...

This sounds lovely and I definitely would have had a slice if I'd been there! It sounds like a good way to use rhubarb - I've never cooked with it before.