Saturday, May 29, 2010

NOT ALOT LEFT!







I usually like to think that I have the swan (or duck!) like method of entertaining down to a tee (flapping madly underneath but appearing calm to my guests) but this went totally out the window yesterday!!!

Good job all the flapping about was post-baking as everything came out as well as I could have hoped for.  But it did prevent me taking photos of some of the cakes before I served them - and this is the photo I have of the Lime Drizzle Cake!!  (There is one slice on the right hand bottom of this selection)



This cake went down very well (as you can see!!!)  I based the recipe on Nigella's Lemon Syrup Loaf Cake and then topped it with a lime glaze to up the zingy factor.  I also made it in a round tin, to suit my serving plate, I really do think that presentation is important on occasions like these - I promise it did look nice when I served it!!

This is what I did:

Lime Drizzled and Glazed Cake

Cake

125g               butter
175g               sugar
2                     large eggs (room temp.)
zest of three limes
175g               self-raising flour
4 tbsp             milk
1/4 tsp            lime essence (not essential)

Syrup

Juice of 2 large limes (3 small)
100g   icing sugar

Glaze

175g   icing sugar
Juice of I lime
2 tsp butter melted

Prepare a 20cm/8" cake tin (or a 900g loaf tin) by lining with parchment paper
Preheat oven to 180C

Cream the butter and sugar together.
Add the eggs and lime zest, and beat well.
Fold the flour in gently.
Add the milk and the lime essence (if using)
Spoon into the prepared tin and place in the oven.
Bake for 45 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.

About 10 minutes before the cake is due out of the oven prepare the syrup.
Put the lime juice and sugar into a small saucepan and heat gently (until the sugar dissolves)

The minute the cake comes out of the oven puncture  it all over with a skewer (spaghetti stick not suitable here!)
Pour the syrup over the cake slowly and gently in order that as much as possible is absorbed - this should be done while the cake is still in the tin.
Allow to cool completely in the tin, and then prepare the glaze.

Sieve the icing sugar into a bowl.
Add the melted butter and lime juice and stir until smooth.
Place the cake on a serving plate and smother with the glaze.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the taste of limes. Do you add the lime essence to the cake batter beore cooking it? And could you use lime juice instead? Did *you* use lime essence or omit it altogether?

Choclette said...

The lime cake sounds lovely and it was obviously popular. I've been meaning to do a lime version of a lemon drizzle cake for ages - still haven't got around to it of course, but I will.

Brownieville Girl said...

Sorry Emmalene - I will amend the recipe :-{

Brownieville Girl said...

Forgot to add - the lime essence isn't necessary - the lime zest gives plenty of flavour. I am a bit of a lime fiend, I really love it, so any extra is good for me!!!

Cookie Confessions said...

That lime cake sounds like a perfect summer dessert! It's always hard for me to stray from chocolate but it sure sounds great, I'll have to give it a try.

À LA GRAHAM said...

I am a lime fiend too! This looks so good...thanks!

Jesa said...

mmm that looks SO so SO good!!!! i love lime..may have to try this out.

lovely blog, truly!

Cheers, Jesa