Friday, May 21, 2010

CHOCOLATE X 4 CAKE




Another Nigella number - this is her Quadruple Chocolate Loaf Cake.  With a recipe like that in my library, it's a wonder I have ever attempted anything else!!

This cake is incredibly easy to throw together, and if the syrup feels like a bit too much faffing about - don't bother, it will be fantastic anyway (you'll have to change the title though!!)  As you can see I used large chunks of dark chocolate instead of the chips recommended, I love the variation in size and therefore texture that the chunks give you.


 

I served this cake to some friends who popped in unexpectedly the other night - I was delighted to have something tasty to serve - felt very Suzie Homemakerish!!!!  By the way I found it much easier to slice the cake on the second day and as with most chocolate cakes it tasted that little bit better on day two (still good on day three and four!)


Quadruple Chocolate Loaf Cake

Cake

200g     plain flour
1/2 tsp  bread (bicarbonate of) soda
50g       cocoa (Green and Black is excellent)
275g      caster sugar
175g      soft butter
2            eggs
1 tbsp    vanilla extract (not essence K!!!)
80ml      sour cream (I have found that yogurt works just as well)
125ml    boiling water
175g      chocolate chips/cut up bar of chocolate - dark or milk to your taste

Syrup

1   tsp cocoa
125ml water
100g   caster sugar
25g     dark chocolate flakes (I will use a potato peeler and a large block of chocolate next time)


Preheat oven to 170 C
Prepare 2lb/900g loaf tin with parchment paper (not greaseproof!!)

Blitz the flour, bread (bicarb of) soda, sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla and sour cream in the food processor.
Scrape down the sides then replace the lid and pour the water in while the motor is running.
Turn off the machine and add the chocolate chips/chunks and stir by hand.
Pour into the prepared tin.
Bake for about 1 hour, it will rise and a cake tester (dry stick of spaghetti) will come out fairly clean - it's a moist cake so don't worry too much if it's sticky.

Ten minutes before the cake is due out of the oven prepare the syrup.
Put the cocoa, water and sugar into a small saucepan and boil for 5 minutes or until the mixture reduces to a syrup.

When ready take the cake out of the oven, and pierce all over with a skewer or thin knife (keeping it in the tin) - it is not a good idea to use spaghetti for this step (I have learned to my cost!)
Pour the syrup over the hot cake as evenly as possible.
Allow to cool completely in the tin.
Sprinkle with the dark chocolate flakes before serving.

 

Enjoy!

11 comments:

Rhyleysgranny said...

I love the big chunks of choccie in the cake. I had endless problems with this cake when I made it first as it overflowed............then I used a bigger loaf tin LOL I haven't made it for ages and yours has put me in the mood.

Coby said...

I love this cake and make it often:) In spite of it turning up regularly, I remain surprised every time that it keeps so well:) It's obviously such a moist cake but really it seems to defy the rules doesn't it?:) I always enjoy the expressions on the faces of those who are tasting this cake for the first time! OH THE ECSTASY~:)

Saffy said...

I've never made it but sounds like I need to! I'm keen on chunkier choc too. But what's the deal with the cake lasting until Day 4? Your family are either spoiled with so much baking they don't know what to do, or they're very well behaved :)

Off to make your onion mush tonight - wish us luck :)

Lucie said...

This looks so fab, I have had this recipe bookmarked for ages, it's time I gave it a whirl! Enjoy the weekend xx

arista said...

Yum! I've never made this cake either, but it looks and sounds great. I shall have to encourage one of my children to request it as a birthday cake!

Joyce said...

I am not sure I would have any left over to slice it and eat it on the second day:-) Looks and sounds wonderful.
Joyce

My Little Space said...

Ph wow, the cake sounds fabulous and really tempting! I wish I could have a slice right away. Btw, I have an award for you.Please feel free to pick it up. Thanks & have a nice day!
Cheers, Kristy

Chef Dennis Littley said...

wow...that cake looks so good!!! so much chocolate so little time.....sigh
thanks for sharing....and making me hungry!
cheers
Dennis

Julie said...

Sounds scrumptious! I love chocolate, and if it's x's 4 that's even better :)

Brownieville Girl said...

Thank you all so much.

Saffy I hope the mush went well - it is so handy to have in the freezer.

Coby - ecstasy is the word!!!

Maxine said...

This i am surely making this week - sounds decidant. Love the idea of *chunks* of chocolate instead of small chips and slithers.

M :)
http://manywhitebowls.blogspot.com/